Valentine’s Day is next week. If you haven’t got your plans together, well, it’s time to get started. Whether you share a special evening or make a day of it, here are a few suggestions to make this Valentine’s Day special:
1. Start the day with a bit of romance. Help your Valentine ease into the day. Gently wake your sweet heart with a perfect cup of coffee and a single red rose. While you’re at it, why not add a bountiful breakfast in bed?
2. To work off that bountiful breakfast, take a walking tour of your favorite town, large or small. Take in the cobblestones of Portsmouth or the youthful energy of Hanover. You can enjoy a leisurely afternoon, browsing in little shops and lunching in a quaint café.
3. While you’re at it, enjoy a bit of art and culture. Take a stroll through an art museum or historic landmark or take in a concert.
4. If shopping and concerts are not your thing, head for the hills. Enjoy the great outdoors with a snowshoe walk through the woods. Unless you prefer a gracefully glide on cross-country skis. Not enough snow in your backyard? The ski areas have been making plenty so you can enjoy a great day on the slopes. Then again, a little cheek-to-cheek ice dancing sounds like fun.
5. Or snuggle up in a sled and enjoy breathtaking scenery. You and your Valentine can cuddle up while a team of sled dogs pull you through the woods and snow. What could be more romantic than the call of the wild? How about a sleigh ride with shades of Dr. Zhivago and Lara? Afterwards warm up and relax in front of a roaring the fire. Unless you prefer a hot tub.
6. Need more help to unwind? How about a couple’s massage? It is the ultimate in relaxation and rejuvenation.
7. As the sun sets, toast your love with champagne and slurp a few raw oysters. They are in season and a notorious aphrodisiac.
8. Next, cook together. There is no better way for two foodies to celebrate the holiday than creating a sumptuous feast together. Indulge in lobster from the Gulf of Maine or a delicious filet of beef. Complete the meal with a delicious chocolate Pot de Crème .
9. After dinner, sit out on the deck and stargaze with your true love. Hold hands and count shooting stars.
10. End the day right. If you started the day with a rose, why not end it with a luxurious Chocolate Truffle.
Happy Valentine’s Day and bon appétit!
Pot de Crème
Try this luscious dessert for two on Valentine’s Day or any day. Feel free to linger at the table with more strawberries and champagne. Enjoy!
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 ounces good quality milk or bitter sweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
Pinch cinnamon (optional)
Pinch espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
Put the cream, chocolate and cinnamon in a small microwave safe bowl. Zap on high for 10 seconds, stir and repeat until chocolate is almost melted. Let sit for a minute or two and whisk to combine.
Whisk in the vanilla and Grand Marnier. Pour into small cups or glasses. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a perfect, whole strawberry.
Print-friendly version of this post.
Or Click Here! for a complete list of and links to all the recipes on this blog!
What are your special Valentine’s Day plans? I’d love to hear from you! Let’s get a conversation going. To make a comment, just click on Comments below. I’d be delighted to add you to the growing list of blog subscribers. To subscribe: just scroll back up, fill in your email address and click on the Sign Me Up button. You’ll get an email asking you to confirm your subscription … confirm and you will automatically receive a new story and recipe every week.